The Darn Dining Room is it's new name. We got the paint up and noticed that many of our patches and such where not sanded down quite enough and showed through the paint like giant slabs of plaster screaming at us. So we are trying to over look our poor workmanship and just get the darn thing done. Tomorrow Rob has taken the day off and is going to hang the chair rail, and crown molding with his dad. yippee! So I will hopefully have more to post on the room soon.
My "job" in the dining room project was the beloved double hung windows. Since I was so picky, & bossy...and yes even a little bratty about them I decided that I would tackle them myself so that if they did not turn out it wouldn't be any one's fault but my own.
Removing 100 years of grime & paint off of the original window hardware:
I took 1/4 cup of *baking soda and added it to a half filled pot of boiling water. Once dissolved I added the hardware and let them simmer for about 30 minutes. *keep an eye on them, if your like me you added more than 1/4 cup and it started to bubble over every time you turned your back. Also I recommend using a less liked pot since you will have all kinds gross stuff floating around in it.
After about 30-40 minutes I took them out and rinsed them, while using steal wool I scrubbed off the loose paint that remained.
After shots coming soon...